What is it about Rhode Island’s love affair with New York System Hot Weiners that keeps them in the spotlight year after year? Locals affectionately refer to them as Hot Weenies, Belly Busters, Gaggers, Gaggas, Systems and my newly created favorite – “Colon Blowers.”
One of the most comprehensive explanations regarding the history of the N.Y. System was from Christopher Martins “Whence Came The First New York System?”
According to the article, the origins of the “New York System” can be traced back to Greek immigrants whose first experience in America was based largely in the Buroughs of NYC – namely Brooklyn’s Coney Island.
Although speculation surrounding the “Original” N.Y. System/Coney Island location in Rhode Island will continue to be debated, the benefactors of this culinary pariah continue consuming them without a major concern.
The RhodeCrew (along with help from 30+ “N. Y. System loving” judges with iron stomachs ) set out to find the best of the best “Hot Wiener in the Rhode” – ordered “all the way” (meat sauce, chopped onion, mustard and celery salt).
The ForkintheRhode.com judges based their results on the following scoring categories: Appearance, Steamed Bun, Wiener Texture, Meat Sauce, Onions and Overall One-Bite Taste.
Having sampled over 200 hot wieners from over 37 different locations statewide, we can honestly conclude that the existing love affair may not merely be the System’s individual components, but the sum of its parts.
The overall One-Bite Taste is where everything about the product works together for a very unique and addictive experience.
We can tell you that many of these community based establishments have been around for years and their multi-generational customer base are fiercely loyal. The atmosphere in these restaurants is just as their customers have come to expect – familiar, uncomplicated and friendly. The menu prices affordable.
The bar stool counters encourage talking to your neighbors, and are still as popular today as they were years ago.
Any good Rhode Islander knows how to order – “2 all-the-way with fries and a large coffee milk!” In that moment, life doesn’t need to be any more complicated than that.
In alphabetical order, here are the top 10 locations where the Hot Wieners were scored the highest:
- Cosmic Steak, Pizza & Weiners
- Ferrucci’s Original New York System
- Lumber-Jacks-Pizza ‘n Wieners
- M & M New York System Restaurant
- North Kingstown House of Pizza
- Olneyville New York System
- Original New York System
- Rod’s Grill
- Sparky’s Coney Island System
Feel free to sample and judge N.Y. Systems Wieners in the following locations as we did. We “double-dog-dare” you!
- A&W Restaurant Greenville
- Barbara’s Place Woonsocket
- Bucci’s Lincoln
- Connie and Nikki’s Restaurant and Creamery Pawtucket
- Cosmic Steak, Pizza & Weiners Warwick
- Dot’s Dairy Bar & Grille Pawtucket
- Ferrucci’s Original New York System West Warwick
- Fidas Restaurant Providence
- George’s Grill New York System Cranston
- George’s Pizza ‘N Pub Burrillville
- Harry’s New York System Warwick
- Hoxie New York System Warwick
- Jesse’s New York System II West Warwick
- John’s New York Systems Providence
- Kip’s Restaurant Pawtucket
- Lumber-Jacks-Pizza ‘n Wieners North Smithfield
- M & M New York System Restaurant East Providence
- Moonlight House of Weiners Woonsocket
- New York Lunch Woonsocket
- Nick’s New York System West Warwick
- North Kingstown House of Pizza North Kingstown
- Oatley’s Family Restaurant North Kingstown
- Olneyville N.Y. System Providence
- Original New York System Providence
- Peter’s Coney Island Warwick
- Plouffe’s Cup n Saucer Pawtucket
- Right Spot Diner Pawtucket
- Riverside Kitchen New York System East Providence
- Rod’s Grill Warren
- Sam’s New York System North Providence
- Santoro’s Pizza Coventry
- Snoopy’s Diner North Kingstown
- Sparky’s Coney Island System East Providence
- Stykee’s Warwick
- Taso’s N.Y. System Johnston
- Weiner Genie Lincoln
- Wein-O-Rama Cranston
Note: On behalf of the RhodeCrew, we would like to offer our sincerest thanks to the volunteer judges who helped make this N.Y. System Weiner Challenge a success!
- Andy, Beth, Bill W, Chris F, Don L, Ed M, Eddy M, Erik M, Gary B, Jeannie M, Jerry D, Jimmy B, John A, Jack A, Jordan F, Krysten R, Lisa C, Lou M Jr & Sr, Mike D, Natalie F, Nick V, Claire P, Rae C, Rich B, Rich E, Richard C, Rob T, Roberta N, Rosie W, Ryan D, Tammy L, Tom M, Vin O, Vinny L, and YQ.